Where We've Been


View Once is Enough Locations in a larger map

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Library Resources: Never get what you expect

Unlike Jasmine, I do not have a very extensive knowledge of the databases, nor a concrete idea of what I would want to search. So I went to the databases, and decided to choose some keywords to find an interesting article.

I searched the words "Suburban Homes" and "bizarre," expecting to find an article detailing some interesting architecture in suburban areas. What i found instead is this article. This of course is not on bizarre suburban architecture. What it is on however, are a series of bizarre and brutal crimes tht occured over the years in Long Island, New York. I was somewhat dissapointed when I found this, because I was fully expecting to find some interesting looking homes. However, I remembered that the assignment said "make it fun and interesting." In my personal opinion, this is at least very interesting.
I guess what this taught me is that I probably should use more refined methods for searching, unless what I am looking for is a random article that has just a little bit to do with a topic. Typically for a research project, this would not be the best approach, but I figured it might be appropriate for this particlar assignment.

-Taylor Niehaus

1 comment:

  1. Oh don't overestimat me Taylor lol (can we use lol in our blogs?). I only use the online library or the architecture library which is overly complicated. They don't even allow people to re-stock the books because of how complicated the numbering process gets! The notation for finding a book in the architecture library is like a license plate, except add on four more varialbes or numbers. But that's about the only thing that gets me in the library, an architecture assignment or torturous studying for calculus two. Normally my problems are very broad so it's hard to find things in the library because it is so specific. Yet, I deal, I deal.

    ReplyDelete