Where We've Been


View Once is Enough Locations in a larger map

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Caution on Campus

Georgia Tech, centered in the bustling city of Atlanta, sees the movement of thousands of people, cars, buses, police, animals, and bikers every day. As a frequent pedestrian on campus I can honestly say I no longer feel safe on campus, especially at night. The endless activity extends, more often than not, late into the night. The recent criminal activity we are all aware of on 10th street, and likewise south of campus on north avenue, has instilled a sense of uncomfortable hostility in those that live anywhere close to the area. From stabbing to breaking into residences the crime surrounding our campus continually worsens. Personally, I'm worried that the problems will soon penetrate the safety net that encompasses the Tech campus. What happens to us when the fights are brought to our doorstep? Can we trust the police who, try as they might, cant watch everywhere all the time?

This is a map of the crime in and around Atlanta. Please notice the dark red area is almost directly on top of Tech Campus...


I feel as though proper efforts to prevent this activity have to be instated and initiated. Just last night I happened to be off campus with some friends of mine celebrating a birthday and on our return trip to campus we passed our fair share of homeless, begging, dirty people. That much I can handle and understand, after all, this is Atlanta. What I can't really handle is the sight of these same people on our campus; ON the campus! I saw these people in the quad in front of my residence hall. There exists a point at which the environs of the city become too close to our secluded patch of safety. I think the activity during the day, public bus service, car services and the like, some how promotes this trespassing activity in the night.

Safety is essential in such an open, public setting. I need to feel safe while I continue to attend Georgia Tech.

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment