Where We've Been


View Once is Enough Locations in a larger map

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Safety Issues

The prospect of safety for pedestrians is a very important part of life on campus. I definitely agree with Jack, in the fact that east campus feels very unsafe. Maybe it is the stigma that I associate with east campus, because it is closer to downtown Atlanta. Living on west campus however, I actually feel much safer. I don’t really know why this is, I think it is just because west campus distances me enough from the MARTA stop, I feel like (this may sound bad) I probably would not be the first target. Thinking about this, there was a big crime streak last year on west campus, yet I don’t really feel unsafe.

Funny thing about safety, when I read the beginning of the blog post, I thought immediately of traffic safety for some reason, so I think that’s what I’m going to focus on today. So I’m sure everyone has seen the traffic signs “STOP for all pedestrians.” I am not really addressing the cars here; for the most part I find that drivers are pretty considerate to pedestrians, the busses could do a better, but they have to do a bit more to break so we can let it slide. What I find interesting is the fact that cyclists apply as pedestrians also. I say this because they really aren’t supposed to apply as pedestrians. Cyclists are actually supposed to follow the rules of the road, as if they were a motorist. Yet constantly I see kids on bikes riding across the sidewalks, in many cases speeding across them at 20+ miles per hour, once someone actually sped in front of a car that had to slam on their breaks. I honestly don’t think I should have to dodge bicycles on the sidewalk on the way to class. Also, the slivers I read saying “I’m on a bike you should yield to me” just add to the disdain I have for bikers who ride on the sidewalk.

-Taylor N.

No comments:

Post a Comment