Where We've Been


View Once is Enough Locations in a larger map

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Buses and Safety seem to be a hot topic

When it comes to the bus system here at Georgia Tech, I cannot help but agree more with Taylor. I have nothing to do but complain when it comes to the random "luck" based system of the Stingers. Even though they have this NextBus system that approximates where and when the stinger will be coming to the stop, it is amazingly inconsistent. Some days it is exactly on, but others, I find myself outside of the studio at the Klaus bus stop, expecting for a bus to come in 3 minutes and it arrives in no less than 15!! I could've walked or called the stingerette within the time elapsed from the expected arrival to the real arrival. I don't see why we can't just have the buses on a time schedule! It seems they are supposed to be running some type of system seeing how the bus drivers don't care to sit at a stop for 5 to 7 minutes writing on their thick silver clipboards that contain the secret to their terribly run system. Either way, I can never come out of my dorm expecting a bus; i always expect it to be driving down the street as I arrive because that's just my luck and it never ceases to prove me wrong. I never have the certainty of catching a 9:30 bus to make it early to my english class. In fact, one time I was out waiting on the bus for 25 minutes in the morning while four buses of each route are supposed to be running. And to complement the inconsistent busing system, the drivers aren't all that hot either. I know they see people running up to the bus and banging on the window, but they will act like they are in a rush or on a so-called "time schedule" and won't open the door for them! Even if they are just pulling up to a red light at Ferst Dr. and Atlantic. (as you can see I have had some bad experiences).

I must abruptly stop my rant about the bus system and continue on to the topic about safety. I couldn't help but remember the tragic Bluffton University crash. Often when talking about safety, one thinks about the safety of the pedestrians from the flying tons of metal called cars. Yet, drivers should not be ignored. On March 2, 2007, a bus carrying 33 members of the baseball team from Bluffton University to their tournament in Sarasota, Florida accidentally entered the left HOV lane exit at highway speed. Not realizing that the highway was ending, because it was poorly marked, the bus crashed over the edge of this exit onto Interstate-75. Cars might be the source of danger for pedestrians, but poor signals are the source of danger for automobiles on the road. This video assesses the disconcerting signs that may have factored into the crash.



Buses and safety...geez big issue.

Jasmine Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment